Monday 23 March 2009

Faith and Meaning

What is it to have faith?

I have often wondered what faith is, and what is it to have faith, to find it, and to lose it. I've certainly spent a long time looking for faith

Over the last year or so I have spent countless hours watching debates between atheists like Richard Dawkins, Christopher Hitchens and Daniel Dennett and an assortment of Christian apologists like William Lane Craig and Dinesh De Sousa. When I'm not watching these debates I am drawn like a dog back to its own vomit, to fundamentalist Christians...My technique is as follows. I find a Christian author who I like and find to be very reasonable and sensible, like Philip Yancey for example. Then I type 'Philip Yancey wicked heretic' into Google and see what comes up. This technique works well with a surprisingly wide pool of Christian thinkers. In essence I have found that the more what a particular Christian thinker is saying appeals to me, the more enemies they tend to have...

Come to think of it, I know a man who said a lot of things that really resonate with me. Came from an obscure town called Nazareth I think...he had a few enemies come to think of it...

Before I continue, I should nail my colours firmly to the mast...

I'm a Christian.

Sometimes.

Well, maybe I'm more of an agnostic.

OK, so actually, neither category seems to fit me comfortably. For the sake of clarity I'm going to call myself a tentative Christian with agnostic leanings. I'm hoping that by putting some of my thoughts and questions down on this blog, I am going to enter into a period of new clarity and purpose!

Welcome to the Christian Agnostic...

No comments:

Post a Comment